Thursday, March 11, 2010

Random almost Weekend Post


Today marks the day that my short get away form the rain and snow ends. I leave California for Iowa in the hours to come. I did get some quality relaxing in and experienced some great scenery and enjoyed working out outside for once and seeing green plants instead of the white desert of snow.

I did get my copy of Mike Boyle's new book Advances in Functional Strength Training. This couldn't have come at a better time when I needed something to read on my 3 hour flight. Needless to say I missed the LA lights on my landing because I was so glued to this book. Although a lot of it is material I have read or heard him speak about, it is extremely convenient to have it in one resource.

The best part about many of his methods and in some cases theories is that they are backed with empirical evidence and quality science. What I like the most about Coach Boyle's work is that he takes either the information that you get from PT's or the scientist and finds ways to implement that with large groups. It is one thing when you are training individuals or small groups but when you have large groups or teams, time is of the essence and finding ways to be practical and logical are a must.

Also got the opportunity to workout at the legendary muscle beach in Venice. It was fun, probably wont do it again but at least I can say now that I have? It was funny to get glances from fellow lifters (who were oiled up and in speedos) while I did 1 leg RDL's, Hip thrust, and full back squats. I then made my way to the beach for some position specific sprints and a cool down. All in all it was a great break but am looking forward to getting back to train the teams and the start of Spring Football.

No comments:

Post a Comment