Thursday, March 18, 2010

Training Log: Preparation for Spring Football


It has been a while since I posted on my training so I figured what better time then at the end of a block. I have used the results from my previous training stage to determine the specific abilities were not where I needed them to be to make up the focus in the stage leading up to spring ball. It is important to note that our spring practices are padded and the spring "season" is pretty much identical to an in season atmosphere. We have pretty intense practices with some scrimmages and a spring game all included. This made it appropriate for me to have to a training stage that would include a accumulation, transmutation, and realization blocks as if I was preparing for one.

NEEDS
After my previous testing my results showed that I needed to improve on my overall power. My strength numbers were where they needed to be so I set my mesocycle/microcyles to use the potential of the developed strength to expand my capacity for producing force at much higher rates. This was obtained through a variety of jumps, throws, Olympic lifts, and some strength speed was still included to a point. Also a fair dose of alactic power work to improve on the speed of my technical, tactical movements in the proper muscle regimes.

RESULTS
Strength
Bench Press- 365-375
Squat-510-540
Hang Clean- 340-355

Skill Test
Vert- 32-35.5
10 yard- 1.8-1.70
Standing Broad Jump-TBD tm

Physical Test
Body weight-210 (same)
body comp- 5%/7% (hydrostatic weighing/Calipers)
RHR-57-60 (varies in this range)

Recovery modalities
Contrast Showers/Baths, Epsom Baths, Cold Plunges, Lots of Foam Rolling, Mobility and Flexibility work, and Tempo Runs with some low intensity recovery work (walks, low intensity circuits, more mobility circuits) anything to get the blood flowing.

Since utilizing the Block Periodization Concept, I have yet to not see improvement in my preparedness which was uncommon in the past. This so far has been a great learning and training experience and will now take what I have attained and use it on the field next week. From here it will be restorative and retaining until the preseason starts. Feeling good about these results and can't wait till final training stage approaches so I can really push the envelope on this.

2 comments:

  1. Nice work TJ! Good luck with football! I have a question about block periodization. How much experience with weights and training do you think a person should have before considering block periodization? Also, can you gear the program towards most training goals (gaining size, losing fat, strength, etc)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey thanks for the kind words! Your experience has to be pretty extensive, this model of periodization is meant for advanced athletes. I qualified due to my training age, strength numbers and so forth. Otherwise a fairly concurrent approach would still yield quality results. This model can be geared for a variety of goals such as endurance sports, speed/strength, and even power lifting. There are some great discussions on verkhoshansky's forums where he gives quality input along with great coaches like James Smith (Pitt football).

    ReplyDelete