Thursday, December 17, 2009

My Training:Block 5-Power 1.0


As I approach the end of Block 5 of my training it could not have been going any better. Of course the main focus is maximum power output while maintaining the other developed components such as max strength and aerobic capacities. However, it is now time for a aerobic mini cycle. I have previously posted my results in previous blocks while in my Accumulation phase. This usually involves a good amount of tempo work and some tempo runs or low intensity cardio. Here are some videos of some Tempo Squats also a exercise I have chosen for power development and a great core exercise that can also serve as low intensity cardio as well.

Hang Clean


This lift has increased a great deal since starting the Power block. In three weeks it has gone from 285 to 315 shown here.

Tempo Squat


The key to tempo squat is...TEMPO. It should be approximately 2 seconds eccentric/2 second concentric. It should be a constant movement with not pausing.

1 arm Farmers Carry

The quadratus lumborum (QL) works to help stabilize the spine. The best way to go about increasing the strength and stabilizing efforts of the QL is to use asymmetrical loading exercises.(McGill). You can utilize these as great cardio by lightening the loads and walking for time. The key is to walk with perfect posture and avoid excessive leaning to counter act the load.

As far as recovery, I have utilized plenty of cold plunges, contrast showers, and soft tissue work. My heart rate upon waking up has been around 57-59 the last week which is much lower than the previous block. I will post some upper body Tempo exercises along with some of my maintenance max strength work in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment