Tuesday, December 22, 2009

My workout Part 2

A very important aspect of block periodization is maintaining the previously developed qualities. This requires low volume but high intensities. One quality that is very important for my sport is starting strength. I currently utilize the back squat for this purpose. Also, being that it is a Power block every workout will have its share of dynamic work as well. One of my favorite power movements is the clean grip power snatch. It travels a greater distance than the conventional style and it requires a lot of power to get the bar up to speed and over your head. Also as the restorative week is just starting, my heart rate is sitting in a good spot (56 this morning). The utilization of cold plunges, epsom salts, and soft tissue work has paid off significantly.



Squat 2x1 @ 485, 500
Here are my two working sets this week for maintaining of starting strength. Even though it is a maintenance focus I have still been using Rating of perceived exertion (RPE) to select load. Based off my RPE I have been able to still increase in weight over this block. There was some shifting coming out of the bottom of the last set but I made it through a sticking point that has given me trouble in the past.


Clean grip Snatch 3x3 @ 165, 175, 185
Like I stated earlier this is one of my favorite Olympic lift variations. By moving the hands in, the bar is required to travel a greater distance than conventional. It also places the shoulder at a much less vulnerable position. I tend to focus on making sure I am able to apply as much force as possible without worrying a great deal on load.

I have used a good amount of time on restorative work due to it being a very CNS intensive block of training. A couple of useful methods are Epsom Salt baths, Contrast Showers, Cold plunges.
($3.00)
Epsom Salt Bath
  • What to do:
    • Fill a bath tub with warm/hot water and add in 300-600 grams on Epsom salts.
    • Sit in the bath for 10-20 minutes.
    • Can be used 2-3 times/week.
  • How it works:
    • It can increase your mean blood magnesium. Magnesium can be absorbed by the skin. Magnesium is a very important mineral and is one we are often deficient in.
    • Increases perspiration which helps rid the toxins and impurities.
    • Stimulates vasodilatation, facilitating blood flow to the muscles and helps reduce inflammation.
    • Reduces muscle and joint pains associated with an excessive inflammation response.
Contrast Showers
  • What to do:
    • Alternate between 30 seconds of cold water and 2 minutes of hot water.
    • Perform cycle 3-4 times.
  • How it works:
    • Increases peripheral blood flow.

No comments:

Post a Comment