Friday, September 11, 2009

Break it down then build em' up!

When I introduced my program to the football team the firs thing I did was tell them to forget everything they knew about the power clean. "We are starting from scratch!" In there previous program the coach had them "Power cleaning" which involved bouncing weights, multiple jerking movements, and a hand full of back problems.
So starting from the beginning I have introduced basic hip extension exercises trying to groove the movement pattern in the same fashion that you would want to develop triple extension on a clean. I have taken a progression from Coach Joe Kenn and altered it to fit our resources and time circumstances. 2 days they work out in season in which they begin with what ever progression of the clean we are currently utilizing. I utilized basic extension exercises like RDL to shrug, Power shrug from floor, and now moving on to high pull from floor. Already everyone is showing vast improvements in form.
Keeping it simple all you have to cue them on is getting a tight set up then PUSH(pertaining to legs push through floor) JUMP(when bar meet knees) PULL(almost immediatley after the jump) then making sure they attain triple extension and obsorb the force to finish. I will try and get some video up when they are in the final progression and let you know any changes I have made.

No comments:

Post a Comment