Thursday, October 22, 2009

Limited Resources

There are many times when you are traveling and you don't have a barbell in sight. Or when you are working out at a facility that just does not do it for you in terms of lack of equipment/poundage. The worst is the unpredictable factor being the weather. You should always have an option B. Here are a few of my past B options that still got the job done.

Option A: was Hill Sprints
Limiting factor: was the rain
Option B: Stair sprints. Stair sprints would be a great option for replacing hill sprints. The benefit of a consistent incline and being able to still sprint. If you need more resistance throw on a 10 # vest and go at it. All you have o do is find a local gym or if you house has steps of reasonable length.
Option A: 1 arm DB rows with 85 #
Limiting Factor: Only 60# DB's
Option B1 (long term): Buy Adjustable DB. These were one of my best purchases I have made. I was in a weight room with only 60 # of DB weight and got these form EliteFTS which allowed me to load them with more weight then I could dream of using.
Option B2 (Short Term): Use a EZ curl bar. This was something I could of gotten by with but since I was in a long term situation I bought the adjustable DB's. This did work well after you find the Center of gravity.

Option A: Lift Heavy weight
Limiting Factor: No Spotter
Option B: Change lift. Lifting without a spotter isn't always bad if you are doing some dynamic effort work or repetition work where you know where to cut it off and still get a great workout in. But lifting maximally without a spotter is asking for injury. But there are safe movements that a spotter really can't do much anyways. Here are a few safe alternatives for the basic Maximal movements.
Squat=Anderson Front Squat
Bench=Pin Press
None: If this is going to be a one time occurrence, drop the ego and work on some weak areas this day. It will pay off in the long run, you won't do something dumb without a spotter, and you and get back at it in no time with heavy work.
Option A: Weight Vest
Limiting factor: Don't have one
Option B: Back pack. I used this before I had a weight vest and it worked great for me or things like chins, short sprints, and jumps. Take a SMALL back pack and put a small blanket on the bottom. Place a durable object on top for desired weight and place a blanket over top. Without the padding the object/weight will bump against you uncomfortably. The pack that worked best for me was a smaller back pack I got with a pair of sports shoes pictured here.

No comments:

Post a Comment